GovDocs, Your Labor Law Compliance Expert
Click on a question below to view the answer.
Labor Law Requirements
What does it mean to "be compliant" with labor laws?
All U.S. businesses with at least one employee are governed by federal, state and local labor laws. Compliance with these laws require employers to display at least one copy of the most current labor law posting in each workplace location. Labor laws change constantly, and it is the employer's responsibility to make sure posters are current and accurate.
As an employer, what are my federal compliance requirements?
The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) governs federal labor law. Current federal regulations require all U.S. businesses with at least one employee to display the following six postings in each workplace location: Federal Minimum Wage, Employee Polygraph Protection, OSHA, FMLA, USERRA, NLRB and EEO.
GovDocs offers all required federal postings in one convenient Federal-on-One poster
How do I determine current labor law requirements for my state?
Each state generates its own set of employment regulations. GovDocs proactively monitors state agencies to determine which labor law changes are mandatory for employers. GovDocs state poster products meet these state requirements.
What happens if my company’s posters aren’t compliant?
Without current state and federal labor law postings, employers risk fines and penalties, damages from lawsuits and, most importantly, loss of brand reputation. GovDocs’ full suite of labor law products makes it easy and cost effective to comply with state and federal labor laws.
Where do I obtain new state and federal postings?
Businesses can obtain postings from individual federal, state and local agencies or from providers like GovDocs. GovDocs is a one-stop resource for all your labor law poster needs.
How often do posters change?
Federal, state and local agencies may change labor laws any time throughout the year – and often do so without notifying individual businesses. An employer must make sure all locations are compliant with the most up-to-date postings. The GovDocs Update Service, for instance, is an annual subscription that automatically provides updated posters to applicable locations whenever changes occur.
If my state's minimum wage is (or will be) higher than the federal minimum wage, which am I required to pay?
Your company’s annual revenue, and whether you do business in one or multiple states, determine your minimum wage requirements. In most cases, employers are required to pay the highest wage.
If I pay all my employees a salary, or an hourly rate that exceeds the new minimum wage, do I need new posters?
Yes. Regardless of the wages paid, all U.S. employers with at least one employee are required to display the most current federal, state and local labor law postings. Employers without proper labor law postings risk significant fines and penalties for non-compliance.
Where should I display labor law posters?
GovDocs recommends displaying your posters in well-trafficked employee areas, such as a lunchroom, breakroom, conference space, employee lounge, or kitchen.
Are the posters from GovDocs compliant with federal, state and local requirements?
Yes. All GovDocs posters reflect the exact language and dimensions required by each issuing agency and are reproduced to meet size, font and color requirements. The GovDocs Employment Law and Compliance Team communicates directly with individual agencies to determine compliance requirements and upcoming policy changes.
What are the advantages of GovDocs' new poster material?
- Sustainability: In support of our clients' long-term sustainability initiatives, the new poster material is 100% biodegradable. Once discarded, it immediately begins to break down in a landfill. Compared to a laminated poster, which takes an estimated 1,500 years to degrade, the new material greatly reduces the impact on the environment.
- Durability: The new material may feel thinner, but it's built to withstand the heavy wear and tear of your locations. These posters are resistant to tearing, water, grease, chemicals and even UV rays for outdoor areas. Plus, you don't have to worry about curling, delamination and fraying edges over time.
- Deliverability: The transition to envelopes not only reduces packaging (eliminating shipping tubes), it also significantly increases delivery performance (reducing return shipments and/or reorder expenses) and allows you to now receive posters in PO boxes (applicable for USPS shipping method only). They arrive folded, but once displayed, the posters' creases relax over time.
- Readability: The new posters' matte finish makes for an easier reader experience, particularly under fluorescent lighting. In addition, the updated three-column layout allows employees to quickly scan individual postings.
For more information, see our Labor Law Enhancements page or contact GovDocs customer service at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-866-922-0930.
How many posters do I need to order?
U.S. employers are required to display at least one copy of each applicable posting in each facility or office location.
What poster formats are available?
Posters are available in highly durable, synthetic, biodegradable material, English and Spanish translations and convenient electronic documents available for print on demand.
Can you notify me when labor law requirements change?
Yes. GovDocs offers two options to keep you "in the know" on changing labor laws. First, purchase GovDocs Update Service when you purchase posters and GovDocs will automatically send you new posters whenever a mandatory change occurs. Available for physical and electronic poster formats. Or sign up for our free mandatory postings update newsletter and receive proactive notification of the latest labor law posting changes.
Do you offer a combined state and federal poster?
Yes, GovDocs offers one physical poster with state and federal postings. Choose your state from the list here.
Do I need special software to print electronic posters?
Electronic posters require Adobe Acrobat Reader at version 4.0 or higher, which is compatible with PC and Mac operating systems. A free download link for Adobe Acrobat Reader is included with all electronic poster orders, or download it here.
Can I print-electronic posters multiple times?
Yes. You can print the posters as many times as you need to for one business address. When you purchase electronic posters you agree to order a new set of posters for each business location.
How long are electronic poster files available to me after purchase?
Electronic poster files are available for fourteen (14) calendar days after the date of purchase. After fourteen (14) calendar days, the electronic poster files will no longer be available and would need to be repurchased.
Can I view a poster image before I order it?
Yes. As part of the online order process, you can view sample posters and detailed product specifications, such as item dimensions.
How will I receive the posters?
Physical posters will be shipped according to the instructions selected at the time of your order. For electronic posters, you can download your posters after you submit your order.
What shipping methods are available?
Physical posters ship via USPS or UPS. Specify your shipping method when you place your order.
UPS NEXT DAY:
Shipments will be delivered the next day after orders have cleared credit card authorization. Business days are Monday-Friday, excluding federal holidays within the United States. Your order must be received and clear credit authorization by 12:45 pm CST or your order may not be processed until the following business day. Orders placed on Friday after 12:45 pm CST or on Saturday or Sunday will be processed the following Monday.
UPS TWO DAY:
Shipments will be delivered end of the 2nd business day after orders have cleared credit card authorization. Business days are Monday-Friday, excluding federal holidays within the United States. Your order must be received and clear credit authorization by 2:00 pm CST or your order may not be processed until the following business day.
Shipments will be delivered within 2 to 5 business days after orders have cleared credit card authorization. Business days are Monday-Friday, excluding federal holidays within the United States. Your order must be received and clear credit authorization by 2:00 pm CST or your order may not be processed until the following business day
Shipments are delivered within 5 to 13 business days after orders have cleared credit card authorization. Business days are Monday-Friday, excluding federal holidays within the United States.
How do I return a poster?
While we stand firmly behind the quality and accuracy of our products, we understand items sometimes need to be returned.
The GovDocs' Return Policy is as follows:
- Electronic items and services are non-refundable. Electronic items or services can however, within 30 days of shipment, be upgraded to physical items/services. Please contact GovDocs Customer Service at email@example.com or 1-888-273-3274.
- Physical product: If you are not satisfied with an item you purchased, physical products may be returned within 30 days of shipment. Upon receipt of the item at our Returns Center, a refund of the purchase price (minus any discount) will be applied to the order. Shipping and handling charges are non-refundable. The customer is responsible for return shipping costs.
- Click here to access the Return form that must accompany your product return.
If you feel you received an item in error, please contact GovDocs Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-888-273-3274 before returning an item.
How do I check the status of my order?
To check the status of an existing order, go to My Account (in the upper right corner of the screen), sign-in, and click Purchase History. Your order history will display, with a status for each order:
- Pending Fulfillment - Order is in process
Order may be able to be changed at this stage. Contact GovDocs Customer Service at email@example.com or 1-888-273-3274.
- Pending Billing - Order has shipped
Click the Tracking # provided to track the shipment.
- Billed - Credit card has been charged
Click the purchase number to view order details or print a copy.
For additional information, please contact GovDocs Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-888-273-3274.
I have a question about my bill. Who do I contact?
Contact GovDocs Customer Service at email@example.com or 1-888-273-3274.
If you are a corporate customer, contact your account representative at 1-866-922-0930.
How do I purchase with a tax-exempt status?
GovDocs charges tax for product shipped within the state of Minnesota. If you order product shipped to a Minnesota location and your company has a tax-exempt status, complete the Minnesota ST3 Certificate of Exemption form prior to placing your order.
Email or mail the completed form to GovDocs using the details below. GovDocs Customer Service will follow up with you once we receive the completed form.
- Download and complete the form.
- Return the completed form to GovDocs Customer Service:
GovDocs Update Service
What is the GovDocs Update Service?
The GovDocs Update Service is an annual subscription that automatically provides updated posters to applicable locations whenever a labor law posting change occurs.
Update Service is purchased per individual location, in addition to the first set of posters.
Updated posters ship by the 10th business day of the following month at no additional cost. Electronic posters will be available in the GovDocs Download Center for two weeks (14 days) starting the last business day of the month.
What products are available with GovDocs Update Service?
Update Service is available for the following GovDocs products:
- Federal Contractor Poster Package: physical and electronic formats
- Federal Defense Contractor Poster Package: physical and electronic formats
- Federal-on-One Poster: English and Spanish language
- State and Federal Poster Packages: physical and electronic formats
- State and Federal Combined Posters: English and Spanish language
- County Poster Packages: physical and electronic formats
- City Poster Packages: physical and electronic formats
- Right to Work/E-Verify Poster
Does Update Service include posters?
No. GovDocs Update Service is a subscription that must be purchased with a physical or electronic poster offering. To continue service after the first year, pay the Update Service subscription fee.
Why do the posters ship out the following month?
Once GovDocs is notified of a labor law posting change, we need to redesign and print the posters. GovDocs then ships out the new posters to all customers with Update Service. This process takes additional time.
How many locations does one Update Service subscription cover?
GovDocs Update Service is purchased on a per-location basis, one subscription per location. For example, if your location displays two sets of posters, you must purchase two Update Service subscriptions.
How do I order GovDocs Update Service?
To order GovDocs Update Service:
- From the applicable product details page, enter the desired quantity and click Add to Cart.
- Then, in the Update Service box, enter the same quantity (one for each poster) and click Add to Cart.
- Click Cart Button (upper-right corner) to check out.
When an Update Service subscription expires, will it automatically renew for another year?
No. At the beginning of the month your Update Service expires, GovDocs will send you a reminder email to renew your subscription.
What's the cost for updated poster shipments under Update Service?
Updated poster shipments are included in Update Service at no additional cost.
How do I know when labor laws change?
- With GovDocs Update Service, we automatically send updated posters to applicable locations whenever changes occur.
- Sign Up for the GovDocs Mandatory Postings Update newsletter at the bottom of the site page.
What browsers are supported by GovDocs?
We recommend Chrome and FireFox browsers. IE, Edge and Safari are not supported.
How do I access my Account?
Click My Account (upper-right corner). Log in as a Returning Customer using your email address and password.
Why does my shipping address look different from the information I entered?
To align our shipping processes with carrier standards, GovDocs may have updated your shipping address to meet USPS business addressing standards (also followed by UPS). For more info, contact GovDocs Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org or (866) 922-0930.
What information is available in my Account?
Your account provides information on all current and past GovDocs orders, including shipping dates, tracking numbers, invoices, and payments.
What is the "My Downloads" Link?
GovDocs electronic postings customers use the Download link to access purchased PDF files.
Why are some of my sales orders showing $0?
Customers with centralized invoicing will see one invoice with multiple $0 sales orders to reflect individual ship-to addresses.